It's really tough to get a quality picture of Neuschwanstein...which is why the gift shop sells forty different varieties for all you photographic needs. The castle itself is quite overrated. I can't really understand why Walt Disney used it to base his animation on...it's not that special. The best aspect of it is it's location in the mountains. However, pictures of that are most easily obtained from a heliocopter - I assume - so all pictures that I took were really disappointing.

1 comment:
Oh, and I couldn't agree with you more. I have been trying to talk people out of "Neuschwanstein" for years now. As you said, all the good pictures are taking from helicopters; the one from the "Marienbruecke" is the best I ever took. Aber so viele Leute!!!! What drew Ludwig to that part. site was the solitude. And that's gone. Can I email your comment to my future Salzburg students so that I can convince them to skip this trip?
In Neuschwanstein's defense, I remember the castle quite differently from my childhood. There were no crowds, the tour was much better and had less of a "herding" feel. I remember that we were allowed to operate the kitchen with the 'elevator table'; now they don't even stop the tour in the kitchen any more. The way the tour ends in a gift shop reminds me of "It's a Small World." Anyway...bis bald.
Post a Comment